Founded in the Netherlands in 1995 and since 2009 headquartered in Singapore, AAL is a global multipurpose operator that serves the breakbulk, heavy lift and project cargo industry. We have grown into one of the world’s largest and most trusted’multipurpose operators.
Our customers represent industries like energy, oil & gas, mining, forestry, leisure, agriculture and construction and our vision is to be the best at what we do and to create sustainable growth and an unparalleled reputation, built on trust and service.
In 2016, AAL was awarded:’Breakbulk Operator of the Year 2016‘ (Global Freight Awards), ‘Excellence in Project Cargo Shipping 2016‘ (Australia Shipping Awards), ‘Best Project Cargo Shipping 2016‘ (AFLAS Awards). In 2017, AAL won the prestigious AFLAS Award once again, for excellence in global project shipping: ‘Best Project Cargo Shipping 2017‘
We offer our customers a unique ‘total’ multipurpose shipping solution, comprising THREE distinct service models that can be combined as required: Chartering Solutions deliver tailor-made and highly competitive chartering options for any cargo type and to any compass point on either a spot, or long-term engagement basis. Liner Services provide scheduled and regular sailings that connect the main ports of Asia Pacific and Oceania. Our growing portfolio of Semi-Liner Services combine fixed-route sailings with highly flexible port calls on trades between Asia, Middle East, the Americas and Europe.
AAL’s expanding global infrastructure of representative offices and supporting agencies stretches from North Asia and Oceania to the Middle East, Europe and the Americas. With our award-winning team of multinational and multilingual professionals on land and sea – including our best-in-class engineering and technical team – we swiftly and effectively address around-the-clock demands of a global customer base.
AAL’s growing fleet of specialist multipurpose, heavy lift vessels is one the sector’s youngest and largest. It comprises highly flexible vessel sizes from 19,000 to 33,000 dwt and combines leading cargo intake and economies of scale with strong heavy lift capability.
AAL Powered by Partnerships.
A company powered by people, a future defined by excellence.
We will achieve our vision by understanding the needs of our customers and building their trust by:
- providing services of the highest quality;
- building our global operation and striving for optimum profitability, with sustainability and ethics;
- operating regular and reliable Liner and Semi-Liner services;
- providing quality, tailor-made Chartering solutions;
- developing more added-value services and expanding our reach into new and attractive markets, whilst maintaining the integrity of our existing framework;
- using modern hardware and technology whenever possible in the provision of our services worldwide;
- maintaining the highest level of expertise and qualification at all levels;
- striving for a “zero harm and zero damage” record.
By 2023, AAL will become the MPP sector’s benchmark for growth, profitability, leadership and excellence at every level – an ambition realised through the talent, commitment and shared values of our employees and management and galvanised by placing customers at the core of our decision-making.
OUR QUALITY CHARTER
- Conduct cargo planning in a manner that ensures optimum cargo care in compliance with relevant regulations, with an emphasis on effective and safe stowage methods whilst maintaining optimum cost benefits.
- Provide customers with the most suitable infrastructure, including specialized lifting equipment and a real-time booking and stowage system, aimed at meeting their cargo needs.
- Understand our customer requirements and work for hand in hand with our suppliers to offer customised solutions and personalized service.
- Recognise that our people are our most important asset and strive for an open and supportive environment. Respect and recognise the contribution of all team members.
- Provide skilled personnel that represent the values of AAL and continually develop their competencies.
- Appreciate that communication between all of our stakeholders is crucial and strive for attention, understanding, acceptance and action.
HEALTH, SAFETY, ENVIRONMENT & ENERGY
We are committed to:
- Ensuring sustainable development by integrating environmental, economic and social considerations in all
aspects and cycles of our business.
- Establishing and maintaining a HSE (Health, Safety & Environment) Management System that meets or exceeds all relevant legal legislation and that employs the best practices whenever possible.
- Protecting the health and safety of all parties involved in our operations and building a culture that engages all entities to deliver on “zero harm and zero damage” goal.
- Improving our environmental and energy performance by applying the principles of pollution prevention and a diligent use of resources, thereby optimising energy and waste management in our operations.
- Providing employees with training and a platform to develop their skills, raising awareness through internal and external communication and ensuring adequate resources to achieve HSE excellence.
- Ensuring that a systematic review program is implemented and monitored with the goal of continual improvement in health, safety and environmental matters.
HISTORY AND MILESTONES
Austral Asia Line BV is incorporated in the Netherlands and with its commercial head office in Brisbane, to provide a breakbulk, multipurpose liner service between South East Asia and Papua New Guinea, Queensland and the Northern Territories of Australia.
Project Asia Service is incorporated in the Netherlands, with its commercial head office in Brisbane, to provide services between North Asia, PNG and Australia East Coast.
Opening of Representative Office in Singapore.
Opening of Representative Office in Shanghai.
Delivery of owned, first generation, new-build, heavy lift, multipurpose vessels: D-Class vessels (30,000 DWT) – now retired,
Launch of PNG Express Service, linking Asia and PNG – now replaced by our New Pacific Line. A dedicated Project Cargo Department is established.
Austral Asia Line BV and Project Asia Service BV (PAS) merge to form Austral Asia Line. The Asia to Australia’s West Coast Liner Service is launched. Introduction of 4 owned H-Class multipurpose, heavy lift vessels – now retired. Opening of Representative Office in Korea.
Austral Asia Line Pte Ltd. (AAL) is incorporated, moving its headquarters to Singapore.
The AAL Brisbane is the first delivery of an order for 10 new-build A-Class (31,000dwt) multipurpose, heavy lift vessels. A new ‘Tramp & Projects’ division is launched, to offer global, tailor-made chartering solutions.
The AAL Fremantle is the first delivery of an order for 4 new-build S-Class (19,000dwt) multipurpose, heavy lift vessels. Opening of Representative Office in Houston. Opening of Representative Office in Hamburg. Expansion of East Coast Australia Service into New Zealand.
First entry into the North American market is marked by frequent and fixed route sailings, through the company’s Tramp & Projects division.
A new and dedicated Pacific Liner Service (Pacific Service) is launched, to offer regular and scheduled links between Asia and North America’s West Coast. Opening of Representative Office in Seattle. Opening of Representative Office in Vancouver. Expansion of our Tramp & Projects division’s fleet, with chartered 3rd party tonnage. AAL awarded ‘Best Shipping Line – Project Cargo 2014’ at the AFSCA awards
Austral Asia Line is formally re-branded globally to ‘AAL’. Opening of an AAL Office in Japan. Introduction of regular, fixed route sailings by our Tramp & Projects division, in key geographical areas. AAL Awarded ‘Best Maritime Cargo Provider 2014’ at the 2015 Cargo Logistics Canada Awards of Excellence. Opening of an AAL Office in UAE.
Tramp & Projects Division increases portfolio of ‘Semi-Liner Services’, to incorporate routes between Asia and The Middle East, via The Gulf and the Red Sea. AAL awarded: ‘Breakbulk Operator of the Year 2016‘ (Global Freight Awards), ‘Excellence in Project Cargo Shipping 2016‘ (Australia Shipping Awards), ‘Best Project Cargo Shipping 2016‘ (AFLAS Awards)
AAL awarded:’Best Logistics 2017‘ (Lloyd’s List Asia Pacific Awards), ‘Best Project Cargo Shipping 2017‘ (AFLAS Awards)
AAL awarded: ‘Best Project Cargo Shipping 2018’ (AFLAS Awards), ‘Excellence in Bulk & Heavy Lift Handling Commendation (DCN Australian Shipping Awards)’
AAL awarded: ‘Best project Cargo Shipping 2019’ (AFLAS Awards)
At AAL, we strive each day for a ‘zero harm and zero damage record’. The management and staff of AAL prioritise Health, Safety and Environmental matters as an integral part of the process with which we manage our fleet and our entire global operations.
We have in place an ongoing programme of training and re-training for our global crew and all our land-based technical, operations, commercial and support teams and our IT system and hardware are monitored 24/7 and maintained to the highest industry standard and regulations.
The company has also implemented a comprehensive management system, that haromonises and directs the internal and external operations and processes of our teams across our entire global network. Independent assessment and certification of this management system was performed by DNV-GL and such accreditation – to latest industry standards – demonstrates AAL’s ongoing commitment to achieving the highest levels of corporate governance, customer satisfaction, health, energy and environmental responsibility.
AAL is the first shipping company to be issued 2015 certifications – ISO 9001 for Quality Management and ISO 14001 for Environmental Management – by DNV–GL’s subsidiary office in Singapore. These were awarded simultaneously as ISO 50001:2011 for Energy Management and OHSAS 18001:2007 for Occupational Health & Safety.